Sunday, 10 July 2011

+1 Google!

Back to blogging after a loooong time, feels great! Thanks Google Plus :)

Nailing it in circles!
Having checked out Google Plus over the past couple days, I couldn't help but smile every time I saw an update on circles - I end up adding a few people everyday, simply deciding whether or not I want to share my stuff with them, that too selectively. That's all I get to decide!

Whether I get to see their stuff or not is entirely their prerogative and an independent decision they can take, that too each time they share stuff. This is much in contradiction with Facebook Friends concept where you mutually agree or disagree to share stuff or as they say, be 'Friends'. 


So much better!

Something borrowed?
It's interesting to note that G+ isn't an entirely innovative product though, which is why it doesn't feel as fresh as you'd expect the latest kid on the social networking block to be. It's more like all the social networking best practices applied together and boy have they applied it well! The Circles concept is borrowed from the Follow of Twitter, albeit with more privacy controls; the +1 concept is obviously borrowed from the Facebook Like; the hangout is borrowed from Skype; not to mention the host of other design items borrowed from Facebook like the 3 column layout, the notifications, and the news feeds.

In spite of all the +1s and -1s I'd give to G+, seamless integration with Google applications (which I subscribe to by the dozen) and the concept of circles has won me over, at least for the next few weeks. (I seriously think they should do something about the bland look and feel though.)

+1 Google!

No comments: