I have been getting onto 6 AM flights to Delhi for week long work trips for some time now. The mornings are crazy and I end up roaming around like a zombie all day, surviving all day on loads of caffeine and whatever else I can find.
This Monday, I set up my alarm was set for the usual 3.45 AM, but I ended up hitting the sack only at around 12 AM - thanks to all the crazy TV shows my sister watches and all the fun one derives from the most meaningless of discussions amongs siblings and cousins. Needless to say, I woke up when my alarm rang with a crazy headache and the highest level of despise for this trip.
I probably snoozed the alarm at least 4 times before I woke up and surprisingly, saw my cousin sitting by my bedside who seemed to be amused with all the snoozing around. Looked like he was up all night, not uncommon for for him at all, but he had my office blackberry in his hand and he announced that a text message from Kingfisher had just notified that my flight was cancelled and I was put on another flight at 1 in the afternoon. I was as pleased as I was on winning a $250 hand of blackjack in Vegas and couldn't thank my admin more for booking me on India's most unreliable airline (based on my personal experience, of course).
I gladly slept for a few more hours and woke up sometime after the sun was up, and my cousin was still by my bedside, probably watching more movies on his laptop. Again he was holding up my blackberry and announced my manager sent me an email asking me to confirm my presence in the office today morning for an important meeting, as he heard my morning flight was cancelled. I decided to dial in for it and just as I took over my blackberry, I noticed that the clock on my phone suggested it was 8.15 in the morning. How did my manager know so early that my flight was cancelled and has been rescheduled to afternoon? While I was pondering over this in a half awake state, there was a loud throbbing sound that drove me nuts, all of a sudden.
It was my phone ringing - the driver of the cab assigned to drop me to the airport was calling. The phone ring gave me the kick I needed to rise from my dream, realizing it's only 4.15 AM and I had at most 15 min to get ready and head over if I had to make it to my flight, which was unfortunately on schedule.
I did make it in time and the day was uneventful from there on, but I was amused by the games our mind plays. So much so to get a few hours worth of extra sleep - a part of my brain fabricated an entire story line that the other part almost accepted - some creativity, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment